Monday, July 2, 2012

Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Lemon Verbena

I found this recipe for olive oil cake and  I was intrigued.  I love olive oil and have many options and flavors to choose from.  The first question that came to mind when reviewing the recipe was how am I going to get my hands on Lemon Verbena?  

I figured I really had only one local option so I added it to my list of  stops and headed out the door.  Thank you to Briar Patch Coop in Grass Valley CA, you never disappoint.  I had hoped to possibly get some leaves fresh or dry but as I walked up to the door and saw all the herb and vegi plants I stopped to see if I could get lucky.  Well, it was my lucky day and I am now the owner of a beautiful Lemon Verbena Plant.   


  •  3/4 cup O Meyer Lemon Olive Oil 
  •  1/4 cup Meyer Lemon Syrup
  • 2 Tbls  butter
  • juice of 1 1/2 large lemons (just under 1/4 cup juice)
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 7 leaves lemon verbena, minced 
  • 5 egg yolks
  • heavy pinch of salt
  • 4 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour (the original recipe called for cake flour and to sift it but that was not a step I was going to take)

Combine the olive oil and the lemon juice and set aside in a liquid measure.
With the whip attachment, whip yolks, salt and 1/2 sugar until very light, thick and billowy.

Still whisking on medium speed, slowly stream in the oil/juice mixture.  Whisk in the zest and lemon verbena leaves.  I adjusted the amount of lemon verbena leaves from 15 to 7 because my version of this recipe uses the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil.

Whisk the whites with the other half of the sugar to medium peaks.


Fold the whites and the sifted flour together gently but thoroughly.  The batter should be very light and poufy.
Spoon into a greased 8″ cake pan and smooth the top a little.  Sprinkle with some sugar–white or demerara, whatever you have–bake at 350 degrees until light golden brown on top and well risen.  

Depending on your oven, this could take between 20-35 minutes.  Keep an eye on it, but don’t open the oven or your lovely cake won’t rise as high as it could.  

Serve warm or at room temperature.  I made this cake for dessert and felt it had to have more than just sugar sprinkled on the top.  So, staying with the lemon theme I drizzled it with this quick and easy syrup recipe.  

For the syrup; combine the Meyer Lemon Syrup and butter in a measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds.  Whisk the syrup and drizzle over the top of each piece before serving and a hint of powdered sugar. 

The cake will hold a day or two at room temperature. 
This recipe doubles very easily, so if you want to make a larger cake, feel free to double up.  

This recipe was adapted from Online Pastry Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts